Depression as It Is: Reasons, Symptoms and Treatment
Depression is among those dangerous conditions that influence not only the physical health of the person, but also mental. As it strikes two elements, both of them should be treated making the recovery process long and tedious. However, to start the therapy one should first be diagnosed with the condition.
Depression is primarily apathy. It is not only about sadness and disappointment; it′s more about lifelessness, emptiness and a desire to drop off. A great number of people explain it through feelings, though it is also partly a medical condition. It is an illness that should be immediately treated; otherwise, it can spoil your life. There is a simple way to determine if you are depressed or not. In case you can track more than 5 enlisted below symptoms in your everyday activities, you'd better see your healthcare provider:
- Helplessness and hopelessness
- Concentration problems
- Apathy to previously enjoyed things, like work, studies, hobby, etc.
- Changed sleeping and eating habits
- Sudden pains and aches that cannot be explained by any condition
- An increased interest in alcohol, and reckless behavior as the result of alcohol abuse
- Lost interest in life and all its components
- Fatigue and weariness, loss of energy
- Irritability and anger
Despite the fact that the symptoms can vary from person to person, the appearance of 5 and more is an alarm bell that warns about the beginning of a serious issue. Surely, some symptoms can be a part of a normal life, like tiredness and concentration problems, though they cannot last for more than a few days. In case you do not see any improvements, call your doctor and make an appointment.
Depression Is Treatable: Antidepressants as a Way to Success
The very pleasant thing here is that depression is both a difficult and easy condition. It is severe, as it hits all the life aspects, but it remains simple as there are lots of effective methods to treat it. The general recommendations claim that you should change your lifestyle, find a hobby, get enough sleep and food, start going in for sport, etc., while the most common medical treatment is antidepressant drugs.
Before the detailed information about medications, it is indispensable to note that depression treatment is a complex process and should involve all the components.
Antidepressants are also called mood-improvers. Their task is to affect your brain and lift the spirits. The vital point here is to opt for the most quality and effective antidepressant that will show few or no downsides. The very medical side of depression is violated work of crucial brain chemicals that include serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine. Thus, antidepressant works in the brain circuits, balancing the levels of all the three elements and stimulating mood advancement.
Antidepressants Types and Varieties
In the 21st century depression has become one of the most widespread health issues, thus, doctors and pharmacists work hard to investigate and produce universal treatment with no side effects, though with preferable positive influences on the psychic. However, while this is only an ambition, one can select from a range of existing antidepressants, such as the following:
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors are the safest antidepressants usually prescribed at the early stages of depression. They can cause only a few minor side effects. Paroxetine, Sertraline, Fluoxetine, Citalopram, Escitalopram and Fluvoxamine are the typical representatives of this antidepressant type.
- Serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors are effective, when serotonin and norepinephrine changes are required. The drugs include Duloxetine, Venlafaxine, Levomilnacipran and Desvenlafaxine.
- Norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitors are reported to have sexual side effects. However, they are often used to solve the depression issue. Bupropion is an example of this drug type.
- Tricycle antidepressants are probably the most effective meds, though possible side effects are also the most complicated. Imipramine, Nortriptyline, Amitriptyline and others are prescribed when SSRI failed to influence the condition.